Crock Pot Beef Chuck Roast
Prep 15min Cook 6hr
- 4 lb boneless beef chuck roast
- 2 tbsp butter unsalted
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion peeled and cut into large wedges
- 2 cloves garlic peeled or 1 tbsp of garlic powder
- 6 carrots whole
- 2 celery stalks cut into large pieces
- 4 potatoes cut into large pieces
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary or 2 teaspoons of dried rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 ounce tomato paste
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large Dutch oven, place the butter and vegetable oil over medium high heat.
- Once hot and the butter is melted, add the seasoned beef and sear until golden brown on all sides. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Toss together the onion, garlic, carrots, celery, potatoes, rosemary in the pan. Allow to cook, stirring occasionally, until browned.
- Stir in the tomato paste and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with the red wine, scraping up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan, and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer to everything into a crock pot. Cook on low until the beef is tender and shreds easily, about 5-6 hours. (spoon broth over or flip roast every so often)
- Season with more salt and pepper if needed. Remove the bay leaves before serving. Serve hot with desired sides.