Grilled Chilean Sea Bass in Garlic Butter & Oregano Pesto
As if grilled Chilean sea bass wasn’t good enough, this recipe calls for it to be drizzled with garlic butter and topped off with an oregano pesto! A truly delicious grilled summer meal and perfect for any occasion.
- 1 pound Chilean sea bass (skin on one side)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (juice of 1/2 lemon)
- 2 teaspoons grapeseed oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup fresh oregano leaves
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- To prepare the pesto, place its ingredients into a food processor and pulse until the mixture is well combined. Do not puree the mixture as it should still have some texture. Add more oregano for a thicker sauce.
- Preheat the grill to medium heat. Wash and pat dry fish. Combine lemon juice and grapeseed oil. Slather them onto the fleshy part of the fish and sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper.
- Grab a large pair of outdoor cooking tongs and folded paper towels. Dip the paper towels in a good amount of grapeseed oil and run them across the hot grill grates Repeat this process 4 times to create a non-stick surface for the fish.
- Place the sea bass onto the grill, flesh side down. Allow the fish to cook for 3 minutes and using a wide metal spatula, very gently work the fish away from the grill grates. Once the fish gives, flip it over and cook (skin side down) for an additional 10 to 20 minutes depending on the thickness of the filet. The fish is done when the thickest part of the fillet reaches an internal temperature of 145°F. Remove the fish and gently cover them with foil until you’re ready to serve.
- For garlic butter, place the olive oil and butter in a saucepan over medium heat. As soon as it starts to heat up (bubbles appear), add sliced garlic, stir, and remove from heat. The garlic flavor will infuse in the oil, but will not burn if you do this. Let cool for 30 seconds before using.
- To serve, drizzle a platter with garlic butter, then pesto. Set fish on top and garnish with your favorite herbs and vegetables. Drizzle with a little garlic butter on top if you’d like a little extra flavor. Serve with your favorite side dishes, though we do recommend grilled vegetables for this dish.