How to: Crock Pot Tri- Tip Roast
11.30.2022 Beef, Tips & Tricks
One of the BEST winter recipes! And it’s so easy, toss everything into your Crock Pot and go! ❄
- 1 ½ pounds baby red potatoes, cut in half
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, cut into chunks
- ¼ cup olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 pounds tri tip roast
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 package onion soup mix
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- In the crock of a 6-quart slow cooker, arrange the potatoes, carrots, and onion. Drizzle the vegetables with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sprinkle with the Italian seasoning, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon black pepper. Toss to thoroughly coat.
- Season the tri tip roast with thyme, rosemary, and remaining salt and pepper. Heat remaining olive oil in a large cast-iron skillet set over medium-high heat. Sear the roast for 2 minutes on all sides. Place the roast on top of the vegetables in the slow cooker.
- Add the minced garlic to the skillet, then pour in ½ cup of broth and scrape the browned bits off the bottom with a wooden spoon. Stir in the remaining broth, as well as the onion soup mix and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a simmer, then pour the contents of the skillet over the roast in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours. Serve.