- 1 tablespoon olive, coconut, or preferred oil (use flavored or infused oil for some extra pizazz✨)
- Shells from 1 pound of shrimp (you can keep them whole, or break them apart)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Kosher salt, to taste
How to Peel Shrimp and Make Stock with the Shells
Peeling shrimp has never been so easy! Learn from the pros and find out how to put the leftovers to good use below!
Waste Free Seafood Stock
- In a large skillet, heat oil on medium low. Add the shrimp shells and toss them together until the shells are evenly coated with oil.
- Cook the shells for 2-3 minutes- stirring often. Then add water- feel free to add fresh herbs or veggies here for extra flavor! (rosemary, celery, citrus rinds)
- Bring to a simmer while pressing the shells down into the liquid to help bring out the flavor and nutrients. Simmer for 5-8 minutes.
- Pour mixture through a strainer or saucepan, pressing down on the shells until all of the liquid is out.
- Add salt or preferred seasoning to your broth. Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days, or freeze up to 4 months.
You made shrimp stock, now what do you do with it? 🤔 Here are some recipes to get you inspired!
Shrimp and Sausage Paella
Shrimp Pasta with Tomatoes, Basil, and Chile Butter
Since you already made your Seafood Stock, skip to step 4!