Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
11.02.2022 Apps & Sides
A side so good you’ll forget about the turkey🦃
- ▢ 2 tbsp salted butter
- ▢ 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- ▢ 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- ▢ 9 leaves fresh sage
- ▢ 1 pound short-cut pasta
- ▢ 1 cup canned coconut milk or whole milk
- ▢ 3 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- ▢ 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ▢ 1 1/2 c shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ▢ 1 1/2 c shredded creamy Gouda cheese
- ▢ 1 tsp garlic powder
- ▢ 1 tsp onion powder
- ▢ 1 tsp paprika
- ▢ ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ▢ 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- ▢ Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1. Melt the butter with the garlic, thyme, and sage in a large pot set over medium heat. Allow the butter to brown around the garlic, 3-5 minutes. Once browned, remove the sage leaves and set aside.
- 2. To the pot, add the pasta and toss with the butter. Add 4 cups of water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes. Do not drain the water. Stir in the milk, cream cheese, and pumpkin, and cook until the cream cheese has melted and the pasta is al dente, about 4-5 minutes more.
- 4. Pick out the garlic cloves and set aside. Add the cheddar and Gouda, onion powder, paprika, cayenne, and nutmeg, and stir until melted and creamy. Remove from the heat.
- 5. If desired, chop or mash the garlic and stir in the pasta. Season with salt and pepper. If the sauce feels thick, add ¼ cup milk or water to thin.
- 6. Divide the mac and cheese between bowls. Top with black pepper, the reserved sage, and grated nutmeg.