Quick And Easy Cube Steak With Gravy
Looking for great-tasting comfort food? UW Provision has you covered! We are big fans of this cube steak with gravy recipe from Dinner then Dessert featuring a special blend of spices that really bring out the flavor of the cube steak. for the full recipe click here.
- 4 cube steaks
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Using a meat tenderizer, pound the steaks on each side for 5-10 seconds to tenderize them.
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter to a large heavy skillet on medium heat.
- Add onions and cook 5-6 minutes until translucent, then remove the onions.
- Season the steaks with salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Cook cube steaks for 4-5 minutes on each side on medium heat.
- Remove steaks, add the remaining butter to the pan along with flour on high heat.
- Whisk well and cook the flour for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the beef broth and Worcestershire sauce until smooth and creamy then let the broth cook for 4-5 minutes until boiling and thickened.
- Add steaks and onions back to the pan and coat with gravy before serving.
TIPS for Making Cube Steak with Gravy
- Cube Steaks are best cooked in a cast iron pan or a large skillet, so you can cook them evenly all at once and get a nice crust, without overcrowding the pan.
- If you only have a medium-sized skillet, cook in batches. An overcrowded pan lowers the oil temperature, causing you to cook the meat longer. Your meat will be overcooked and oily.
- Tenderizing the cube steak is really important to get a flavorful, evenly cooked, tender cut of beef that cooks fast.
- Flatten the meat tenderizer mallet until desired thickness, making sure they are all even so you don’t overcook them.
Prep: 10 Minutes
Cook: 20 Minutes
Total Time: 30 Minutes