Slow Cooker Tips
03.28.2022 Meat Tip Monday
In this week’s Meat Tip Monday, we will be focusing on how to best utilize a slow cooker! Want to try slow cooking? Stop by The Meat Market or Local Source Foods to pick up your favorite meats and vegetables!
Different Sized Slow Cookers
1 to 1 1/2 quart: This is perfect for one person and dips/sauces.
2 to 3 1/2 quart: This is perfect for two adults.
3 1/2 to 4 1/2 quart: This is perfect for a family of four or two adults that want leftovers.
4 1/2 to 5 1/2 quart: This is perfect for a family of four that want leftovers.
6 to more quart: This is perfect for parts or larger families.
- When cooking veggies place the harder veggies towards the bottom such as carrots and potatoes because they take longer to cook.
- When slow cooking meats tend to retain their juices, so make sure to add less liquid to your slow cooker than you would when using other cooking methods.
- Don’t add frozen ingredients to your slow cooker because it will ultimately slow down the cooking process by a huge amount.
- If you want to add any dairy, make sure to add it in at the end because it will break down if it’s cooked too long. Aim for adding it 15 minutes before the meal being fully cooked.
- Cook any pasta separately because the pasta will get mushy if you leave it to cook with the rest of your meal.
- Try not to lift the lid while cooking. If you do lift the lid it can add another 30 minutes to the cooking time.