Grilled Steak Gyros with Homemade Naan
Grilled steak gyros that are perfect for a hot day! These are easy and all you need to cook them is a grill. They’re also perfect to make ahead for tailgating and assemble at the party! Gyro bars for the rest of the summer🌯
For the Meat🥩
- UWP Sirloin Sizzler steaks
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Naan flatbreads or pita bread (try these homemade😋)
- Bell peppers or mini peppers, sliced
- Tomatoes, sliced
- Onions- red or yellow, sliced
- Zucchini, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- feta cheese
Greek Yogurt Sauce:
- 1 5-6 oz cup full fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 large clove garlic
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill minced
- salt and pepper to taste
Steak Marinade (day before)
- Mix olive oil, red wine vinegar, minced garlic, dried oregano, salt, and pepper in a dish or ziploc bag. Add the steak and marinate for at least 30 minutes or overnight
- If your making Naan homemade, do it the day before!
- Make the dough ahead. After the dough has risen, punch it down, place it in a bag sprayed with a bit of oil and refrigerate for up to two days. Or freeze it for up to 2 months.
- Toss the sliced veggies in olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and dried oregano.
- Place a sheet of foil on the grill and add the veggies. Grill for 15 to 20 minutes, flipping occasionally until seared and slightly charred.
Greek Yogurt Sauce
- In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, minced garlic, lemon juice, dill and mint, salt, and pepper and stir well to combine and set aside.
- Add the steak to the grill and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side until cooked through. The grilling time will vary depending on the thickness of your steak. Be sure to use a thermometer to check the internal temperature.
- Since a petite sirloin is very thin – it cooks incredibly fast, so plan on 8-10 minutes total grilling time for that cut of beef.
- Once the steak is cooked, remove it from the grill, cover to rest for a few minutes, then thinly slice the steak against the grain.
Toast your Naan and Assemble🌯
- In a small bowl, pour olive oil and add a pinch of salt, pepper, dried oregano, or you can use your favorite all-purpose spice blend – like UWP gourmet seasoning😉
- Lightly brush the seasoned olive oil over the naan and add the it to the grill – about 2-3 minutes per side (or in the oven- 350 for 4-5 minutes)
- Assemble the gyros by layering the lemon herb Greek yogurt sauce over the toasted naan, then the sliced steak, grilled veggies, a handful of arugula and feta cheese.